Pages

Wednesday, 21 November 2012

Giving Up.

No it's not what you think! I'm not a defeatist, honest!
But I have given up a lot of stuff.
I'm a serial 'googler' of pretty much everything so of course I've been 'googling' away to find out anything that might help me to get better.
And giving some stuff up was certainly on the menu.
I am teetotal, I don't smoke and I don't have any caffeine. Straight edge, huh?
I haven't found it at all difficult to give up any of these things. They seem so pointless now.
Being quite the party-animal last year, you'd think I would miss going out on the town and get absolutely shitfaced, but to be honest I am having a better time not drinking. I don't miss the dizziness, lack of control, super-calorific-content, general confusion and hangovers. It all seems a bit pointless to me now.
I'm not saying I'll never drink again, because who knows, but taking this somewhat voluntary but mostly involuntary vow of abstinence has given me a whole new perspective on the matter of alcohol.
I didn't realise just how much it is a part of daily life it is until I wasn't partaking in any of the activities.
It's the same with caffeine. I don't miss it, I don't need it and you can get decaff everything anyway - which is great for me 'cause I love love love espresso and a cup of tea in the morning is the ideal way to start your day.
In terms of the difference made to my life by abstaining from these common drugs, I would say I am healthier. In the long run, I'll be doing my body less damage and in the short term my medication won't get messed up. So it's a win-win for me I guess.

I won't drink alcohol or caffeine if you offer it to me. And that is my choice. I will try anything that might help with my situation because I'm sick of it. I gave them up because one website said it could possibly help. Desperation would be a good way of describing my motives for 'giving up'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment your thoughts, opinions and messages. I will reply on request and can offer advise and friendship. It would be great to hear from you :)